Monday 27 February 2012

THE PAST


Too often, I find myself grieving over my dark past. The shadows seem to cloud out all of the sunshine of my happy memories, until I am left with only my bad circumstances and wrong decisions. I struggle with it constantly, the thought that I could be, should be, a better person.


There are skeletons in my closet, lots of regrets in my mind. As much as I try to forget my past decisions, the flashbacks haunt me. Why can't I go back and change those moments? How can I take back those words? I suppose if I was able to, it would take a piece of me with it. With every memory I am altered mentally, spiritually, and sometimes even physically. 

But I have to remember that it's not just scars I bear. Every mistake I've made is a lesson I've learned, regardless of how many falls it took to gain that wisdom. I can't change my past. I can't go back and edit my life, making it flawless. Who I am, has been shaped by all of my experiences, good and bad.

And I don't have to live in regret. The God of the universe sent His one and only son so that I could be freed from guilt and shame. If I would lay everything down at His feet, I would have peace. God wants to free me from my dark past. All I have to do is ask for forgiveness, accept my past as it is, and move forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment