Thursday 15 March 2012

Out of Tune

As I was cleaning under my bed, I came across a guitar case covered in dust. Believe is or not, I had completely forgotten than I owned a guitar. I hadn't seen it since the first week of school when I had shoved it underneath my bed. But there it was. I pulled the case out and dusted it off, revealing the splatter-painted cover. Unlatching it, I lifted the top.

My guitar had been sitting in its case for so long that one of the strings had snapped and the rest were out of tune. I replaced the string, tuned the guitar, and started playing. The strings dug into my fingers as my hands settled into the chords. If felt so weird to play, but it also felt familiar and welcoming. I had forgotten how much I loved playing my guitar.

I set the guitar off to the side and dug through all of the papers in my case, looking for the perfect song to play. Among tabs of country songs and hymns, I found a song that I didn't even know I had. Picking up my guitar again, I strummed through the opening chords, and started into the song.


I searched for love
When the night came and it closed in
I was alone
but You found me where I was hiding
and now I'll never ever be the same
It was the sweetest voice that called my name
singing

You're not alone
For I am here
let me wipe away your every fear
My love I've never left your side
I have seen you through the darkest nights
and I'm the one who's loved you all your life
All of your life

You cry yourself to sleep
cause the hurt is real
and the pain cuts deep
All hope seems lost
With heartache your closest friend
and everyone else long gone
You've had to face the music on your own
but there is a sweeter song that calls you home


You're not alone
For I am here
Let me wipe away your every tear
My love I've never left your side
I have seen you through the darkest nights
And I'm the one who's loved you all your life
All your life

This week has been really rough. There have been a lot of changes in my life, and to be perfectly honest with you, I really hate change. This song seemed to be God speaking to me. All year, I had put my trust in friends and earthly things, and this week had fallen on my face for what seemed like the millionth time. My heart was battered and broken. None of my friends could heal me, but they pointed me to God.

For a while, I refused to listen. I didn't want to forgive and leave everything in God's hands. I was blinded by hurt. I scrambled from friend to friend, looking for someone who could relate to my pain and tell me what to do.

Heart-broken and worn out, I desperately threw myself down at the foot of the cross. I had tried everything and everyone but God. Now, as I poured out my heart to Him, the only one who could relate to my sorrow, He told me to forgive and move forward, trusting in Him.

When I chose to give everything over to Him, my week didn't magically become better. But every time I start to struggle, I pray for the strength to keep moving forward, to forgive and forget what has happened in the past.

Are you out of tune with God? Whatever your burden, I plead with you lay it down at the foot of the cross. God wants you to be happy. All you have to do is rest in Him.

2 comments: